Root Canal Treatment
If a tooth is painful and sensitive, it could mean its interior pulp has become infected with bacteria. This may lead to tooth loss.
Root canal treatment performed by Dr. Stephen Dowell of Dowell Dental Group is a virtually painless procedure that can save your tooth.
How does Dr. Dowell use advanced technology at his spa-like Minerva, OH, dentistry office to make root canals precise and comfortable?
What Is Root Canal Treatment?
Basically, this extremely effective procedure involves Dr. Dowel accessing the interior chamber, or root canal, of your tooth and cleaning out all the infected and damaged tissue inside it. He then disinfects the interior to eradicate any remaining bacteria and seals up the tooth. A dental crown is typically placed to preserve the tooth's health and chewing function.
Do Root Canals Hurt?
The answer to this common question is no and many patients compare it to getting a filling. Dr. Dowell is a caring dentist who will gently administer a numbing anesthetic to keep you pain-free during the procedure.
Smiling Patients Give Our Dentist 5-Star Reviews
Had went in for a broken tooth with pain . They took good care of me , very compassionate team and the dentist took the extra step to relieve all pain and discomfort . He removed the tooth and gave me stitches. No more pain and I am grateful for the procedure. Will be returning. Thank you .View on Google
I phoned today to be seen as a new patient and because of the problem I was calling about, Jennifer scheduled me to come right in! Dr. Dowell listened to my concerns and addressed the problem in such a way that I know that between his approach and the wonderful way I was taken care of by his staff I have found the best fit for me and all of my dental needs!View on Google
A Closer Look at Root Canal Treatment
Why Root Canal Treatment Is Important
Dr. Dowell will likely suggest a root canal procedure at our dentistry practice when a bacterial infection enters your tooth through a crack or cavity, damaging the pulp, nerve, and blood vessels. If left untreated:
- The infection can spread
- A painful abscess can form
- Your jaw bone may be damaged
- Swelling in your face can occur
- The tooth may need to be extracted
- You might need a surgically placed implant
A Root Canal Offers Many Benefits
- No More Pain
- A root canal removes infected pulp and damaged tissue, resulting in relief from dental pain.
- Saves a Damaged Tooth
- A root canal eliminates interior decay, saving the tooth from extraction so your smile remains healthy and complete.
- Keeps Your Smile Looking Great
- After infected pulp is removed, Dr. Dowell will place a natural-looking crown on your tooth. This can be done during immediately after treatment, thanks to CEREC® same-day crown technology.
- Restores Normal Dental Function
- You can resume normal chewing and biting functions with no pain.
- Prevents Further Infection
- A root canal can stop infection from spreading to other teeth.
The Root Canal Procedure
We can treat your damaged tooth and place a dental crown in just one visit.
What about Recovery?
You can go back to your normal daily activities after treatment. Over-the-counter pain meds can help with any soreness and sensitivity, which should fade in a day or two. If you experience worsening side effects, please contact our office right away.