The Importance of Replacing Missing Teeth
Any degree of tooth loss compromises oral functions, increases the risk of oral health complications, and detracts from the beauty of the smile. Replacing missing teeth is vital to restoring the health, strength, and aesthetics of the smile, while preserving its integrity.
At Dowell Dental Group, Dr. Stephen C. Dowell offers several missing tooth treatments, including dental implants, which replace the crown and roots of a lost tooth. Dr. Dowell is happy to provide individuals from Minerva, OH, Carrollton, OH, Dover, OH, and surrounding areas with more information about missing tooth treatment options, so that they can find the dental solution that benefits them the most.
The Importance of Tooth Loss Replacement
When people seek treatment for missing teeth, they are often driven by aesthetics. Many individuals feel self-conscious about sharing a smile that is riddled with gaps. Even the loss of just a single tooth can dramatically impact the appearance of the smile. Unfortunately, the effects of tooth loss are much more serious than appearances.
Missing teeth throw off the balance of the smile, make biting, chewing, and speaking more difficult. They also compromise the position of teeth immediately adjacent to the area of tooth loss and lead to jaw bone degeneration (a loss of healthy bone tissues).
When tooth loss occurs it is essential that individuals seek treatment as soon as possible. By replacing missing teeth with a dental restoration, Dr. Dowell is able to restore the strength and function of the smile, improve its aesthetics, and minimize the risk of further dental complications.
Missing Teeth Treatment Options
There are several restorative dentistry treatments for patients to consider following tooth loss. The option that is most appropriate for each patient depends largely on the number of teeth that have been lost, the area of tooth loss, and health of the patient’s gums and jaw bone. Possible tooth loss replacements include:
- Dental bridges - Dental bridges are a solid restoration that can replace between one and three missing teeth. They are secured by dental crowns on either side of the area of tooth loss.
- Dentures - Dentures are removable restorations that sit over the gumline to replace missing teeth. Dentures are available as partials, or as full dentures, which replace an entire arch of teeth.
- Dental crowns - Dental crowns are suitable when someone has lost a single tooth, or multiple teeth from different areas of the mouth. Dental crowns are anchored down by dental implants.
- Dental implants - Dental implants are small titanium screws that are surgically placed in the jaw to act as artificial tooth roots. Dental implants can be fitted with dental crowns, dental bridges, or fixed dentures.
The Dental Implant Difference
For those who are ideal candidates, Dr. Dowell highly recommends dental implants for tooth loss replacement. Dental implants offer several benefits that set them apart from other missing teeth treatments. Some of the most noticeable benefits of dental implants include:
- Superior stability
- Unmatched durability (dental implants can last a lifetime)
- Superior comfort
- Ease of care (dental implants can be brushed just like natural teeth)
- Prevention of jaw bone degeneration
Contact Dowell Dental Group
If you have suffered adult tooth loss, Dr. Stephen C. Dowell offers dental treatments to restore the strength and beauty of your smile. To learn more about missing teeth replacement options, send us a message online, or call (330) 868-5001 and schedule an appointment.