What Are Invisalign Attachments?
Invisalign aligners are transparent and easily removed for routine cleaning and maintenance. At first, Invisalign was created as an alternative to braces for patients to address subtle gaps, crowding, and other alignment issues without glue and brackets. Now, the innovation of Invisalign attachments gives a wider range of patients the convenience of the barely noticeable teeth straightening treatment. Attachments may be recommended to move the teeth more significantly in cases of severe or complex malocclusion.
With offices in Carrollton, Dover, and Minerva, Oh, Dr. Stephen C. Dowell combines state-of-the-art technology with a spa-like feel to encourage dental patients to actually enjoy their visits. For over 30 years, Dr. Stephen C. Dowell has helped families gain confidence in their smiles by restoring health and refining aesthetics.
How Do Invisalign Attachments Work?
Invisalign attachments simply help move the teeth more effectively than aligners on their own. An attachment is placed on the tooth enamel, so it is non-invasive. The attachment then grips the Invisalign tray. In order to place attachments, your dentist will complete these simple steps:
- The surface of the tooth is prepped and conditioned.
- Primer will be applied to the selected teeth and the attachments will be placed.
- Bonding will be cured with LED light to ensure that the attachment stays in place.
Please note that attachments are temporary. When the attachment is no longer needed, we will remove it and gently buff the surface of the tooth.
Why Would You Need Attachments?
Attachments aren’t necessary for everyone, but they might be recommended in these cases:
- If you have a tooth that is pushed back, an attachment can help move the tooth forward.
- If you have a tooth that is sticking out, an attachment can help move the tooth backward.
- If you have a tooth that is twisted, an attachment can gently turn the tooth for straighter alignment.
What Do Invisalign Attachments Look Like?
An attachment looks like a tiny, enamel-colored bump on the surface of your tooth. Your Dowell Dental Group dentist will choose a curing agent that closely matches your natural tooth enamel. Your personal dental goals will determine which type of attachment is best.
Types of Invisalign Attachments:
- Attachments: Supply grip for aligners
- Buttons: Support rubber bands
We will work carefully to produce natural-looking results throughout all stages of your treatment.
What Do I Do if An Attachment Comes Loose?
Without hesitation, contact our practice if an attachment or button falls off. Attachments are essential to your individual Invisalign journey. Failing to address this type of issue could prolong your treatment timeline.
How Do I Get the Best Results with Invisalign Attachments?
Follow our team’s instructions for making sure that your attachments and buttons function at their highest degree.
- Wear your aligner for at least 20 to 22 hours per day
- Remove the aligners only for daily brushing and flossing
- Avoid staining foods and drinks such as coffee and red wine
Find Out If You Are a Candidate for Invisalign
If you would like to learn more about the customized options available with Invisalign, call (330) 868-5001 or message Dowell Dental Group online.